Book Blogger Hop: April 21st - 27th


This week's question is submitted by Maria @ A Night's Dream of Books


Would you stop reading a book if an element of the plot strongly clashed with your personal beliefs, or would you continue reading until you finished the book?


Reading for pleasure and reading for review has created an interesting dilemma. While some places (NetGalley and Blogging For Books ) allow you to read a synopsis and select the title based on your personal preference, others (publicists and authors) simply place books in the mail for you to read and critically review. 

The scenario in this week’s question happened to me a few weeks ago. The book began with peculiar religious traditions that did not mesh with my own. In fact, they were very different from anything I had ever heard. Moreover, the author didn’t weave educational content into the work. This made it even harder to continue reading. While I wanted to believe the central theme of the book has nothing to do with these traditions, I was completely turned off. 

What Did I Do?


I simply placed the book on my nightstand and wondered how I am going to review this book. If it wasn’t for the request of the publicist, I simply would donate the book to the local prison library and never attempt to read it.  
 
I am not sure how other freelance book critics, who work for major publishing houses, newspapers, or magazines, handle this. Interestingly, I came across an article about “blitzers”: reviewers and critics who use the ultimate reading hack to produce instant book reviews. Now, I won’t go as far as they did. Yet, I know I will have to return to the book at some point in order to satisfy my obligation to author and their publicist. 

Comments

Popular Posts