{Book Review} #ChristianTheology -- Never Settle for Normal by Jonathan Parnell


Never Settle for Normal 
The Proven Path to Significance and Happiness
Jonathan Parnell
Publisher: Multnomah
Publication Date: July 18, 2017
Genres: Religion, Christian Theology, Apologetics

We’re All Glory-Chasers and Pleasure-Seekers

Every human wants to matter and be happy, which is as it should be. God made us to resemble and reflect His worth as we enjoy our true identity in Him.

But we too often swap that calling for the trifles of this world, pursuing cheap substitutes to fill the craving of our souls. As Jonathan Parnell puts it, we settle for “stupid normal” over the transcendent, even though this world can never satisfy our hopes and dreams.

In Never Settle for Normal Jonathan speaks to the heart of both skeptics and searchers by addressing their deepest longings. With insight and passion, he examines the key tenets of Christian faith—creation, fall, redemption, new creation—and reveals the life-changing glory of the Christian story in a fresh, new light.

Discover the personal meaning and gladness you hunger for… and Never Settle for Normal!


Add to Goodreads / Amazon

This review is the intellectual property of The Literary Apothecary.
Permission has not been granted for reuse of the content of this review.

Never Settle for Normal may just be the guide book so many are searching for, as we seek to understand God as He really is, and not as we think He is.

More often that I care to admit, I lose touch with the reality in which I exist and fail to distinguish the difference between the life I live and the one I was designed to live. I become immensely frustrated with my life and long for happiness and sense of significance daily. How do I get there? Can I get there? Will I ever be happy? *frustrated sigh*

Well, I chanced upon a book that presents a compelling, theologically-sound case that places biblical history in my hands and unravels the albeit simple answer my to questions. Parnell makes a captivating argument and presents the entire history of the world, as we see it in the Bible, in a wholly conversation tone. 

He takes us on a theological journey, gently reminding us that answers will not be found in scholarly tomes, or other collections of theories. Moreover, he directs us to a leather-bound itinerary that has captured everything we need to know, from the intricate moments of the world’s formation to that apocalyptic moment leading to its end. Parnell shares, with astounding accuracy, what it means to be a Christian in a text that is a conceptually accessible primer to all Christian readers wishing to explore their faith.

There is indeed a gap between how I imagine my life to be and what it is. Amidst many sleepless nights and tear-stained sheets, I sought a bridge to help me cross this spiritual chasm. This epistle has provided the material to building that bridge, by showing me where, and how, to lay the first brick. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book through Blogging For Books in exchange for an honest review.
This review is the intellectual property of The Literary Apothecary.
Permission has not been granted for reuse of the content of this review. 


 
About Jonathan Parnell
Jonathan Parnell is the lead pastor of Cities Church in Minneapolis. He is a graduate of The College at Southeastern and Bethlehem College and Seminary and has served as a longtime writer for John Piper’s desiringGod.org

Jonathan and his wife, Melissa, and their seven children, live in the middle of the Twin Cities.

Comments