Book Blogger Hop - On Reading Classics



Name one classic novel you have always wanted to read.

This week's book blogger hop question was submitted by Billy (the host) - Coffee Addicted Writer.


Short and Sweet Answer:

Depends on what you call a classic novel.

More detailed answer:

The definition of a classic novel seems to vary depending on who you ask.

I think any classic novel, whether literary or genre fiction, should showcase artistic ingenuity and represent a period or decade recognizable and felt by any reader, regardless of age, gender, or race.

My go-to-genre is urban fiction. Sadly, it is often incorrectly referred to as African-American fiction. What defines the urban fiction genre is the distinctly harmonious, yet gritty and painful, presentation of life in an urban setting. Did you know that Charles Dickens presents the archetypal infuriatingly accurate experience of those living in an urban environment? YEP! So, urban fiction is not African-American fiction. (Note: This could become a more in-depth discussion. For the sake of this post, I will stop here.)

When thinking about my definition of a classic novel in light of my fascination and familiarity with the inner city, I immediately thought of the African-American literary canon. Most of them I have devoured many times over during the last decade. But, there is one I have not been able to read. Why? I don't know. Something mysterious stands in my way. I see it at the library and freeze. Could it be I am afraid of being let down? Not sure.

I would like to read The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah.

What traditional classic have you always wanted to read? Better yet, what classic in your preferred genre would you like to read?

Follow this week's blog hop!

History of The Book Blogger Hop

How The Book Blogger Hop Works

Fellow book bloggers are invited to submit and book-related questions. A question is selected and book bloggers join in and share their answers. (For the submission form and Hop Schedule, including the question of the week, check out Billy's dedicated Book Blogger Hop page. Each Friday a new 'hop' starts and lasts until the following Thursday.

Purpose of The Book Blogger Hop

To give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend other bloggers, and receive new followers to their own blog.

Comments

Popular Posts