Library Loot - Book Love, I'd Rather Be Reading, and Digital Minimalism
Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Sharlene from Real Life Reading that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library.
If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries.
Book Love by Debbie (public library)
Touted as a 'gift book of comics', this graphic novel was written for the extreme bibliophile. Known for her silently humorous and immediately recognizable comics, Debbie shares her bookish thoughts and habits.Pros:
-Quiet sense of humor; not over the top
-Nice for those who are interested in finding out why others adore books
Cons:
-Made me feel like a moron. While it gives some insight to a certain group of avid readers, it makes us look cliquish and boring.
-The narrative was redundant
-Nothing fresh and new.
-A little too cliché
-Reminded me of why I left Facebook
Final Thoughts:The book explores every nook and cranny of the bookworm's world. I am glad I only borrowed this, since I was not really impressed.
I'd Rather Be Reading by Ann Bogel (public library)
Ann's book is said to be the "perfect literary companion for all intense book lovers. It is more of a book of semi-essays on Ann's view of reading, scheduling, and more reading.Pros:
-Nice cover
-Fans of her blog will gravitate to the book and may feel 'at home'
Cons:
-More blog posts than essays
Final Thoughts: I have been following Ann's blog for several years and I was excited to finally get this book from the library. Sadly, it is not what I expected. I found the work similar to her blog and not at all like a collection of essays. I am glad I did not purchase this book.
Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport (public library)
Digital minimalism applies unique logic to our use of technology, including social media. He continues his usual bend toward deep work and focusing on living an enriched life. Known for his lack of social media presence, Cal's newest book is all about reducing screen time and becoming more present in our own world.
Pros: -Great case for understanding the reason behind pursuing 'digital minimalism'
-Good for those who are new to concept
-Good for those who want to some data behind this trending topic
Cons:
-Not the best text for those who have already read Deep Work and made some life changes, as the book does not present any new actionable information
-Seems to have a ridiculous amount of padding. Sure the research and data analysis has its place, but some of the information could have been left out
Final Thoughts: Well...I was really disappointed in this book.
Comments