Audiobooks, Loneliness, and News from Michael
Audiobooks, Loneliness, and News from Michael
Sometimes I think about what Annie said in the 2014 remake of Annie. She used to listen to talk radio so she would not feel alone.Sometimes I find that listening to an audiobook, or using text-to-speech, helps me feel connected.
Yes...I know that is very weird. But, it is true.
Now, I don't do talk radio or podcasts for that matter. Ok...not true. I will listen to NPR.
People are very lonely today. You can see it in the frantic call for attention on social media. But, is there a cure for loneliness for those of who really don't want to be around other humans, or don't have human friends, or who do in fact try to reach out only to have the door slammed in their face?
Some would say podcasts...talk radio. Well, I would say an audiobook or using assistive technology to read something to you.
In an effort see if my thoughts were shared with others, I engaged in a quick Google search. I came across an older article (ok...2018 is not that old) that echoed what I feel.
Where Jonathan speaks to the curative power of podcasts, I want to toss in listening to books.
Listening to a book is akin to having 'a voice to accompany you when you might go through a whole day without interacting with anyone.'
To dig deeper, I decided to think about why this cures my loneliness. Well...it takes me deeper into my own mind and I dance with my thoughts about what I listening to.
Right now, I am doing the salsa with Don Winslow and my thoughts about the Sinaloa cartel.
Of note, one of my favorite authors landed a publisher! I adore Michael Stewart and his ability introduce younger audiences to touch (and at times icky) topics.
Better still, his book Ray Vs the Meaning of Life won the Publishers Weekly Booklife Prize. I love Michael!! I am beyond happy for him! And…I can't wait to finally read about Ray. (Michael if you are reading this, I PROMISE to read this!!) Check out his website!!

Comments