Embracing Failure

Snow

Embracing Failure

As a blogger, I am sure you have heard of 'blogger shame'. Basically, it is where you feel like a slacker. (Ok. There is more to it, but that is how I see it.) Read Sam's take over at We Live And Read The Books. ) But, what about those of us who feel this in real life, only to have it seep into our other hobbies? This is a real issue.

This week at work I had a huge project. I worked hard before vacation and then wrapped it up after I returned. BUT...someone found fault with it and my self-esteem plummeted. To save you the emotional roller coaster, everything turned out fine. But, the pain and tears shed between the beginning and the end was horrendous. IT STOPPED ME FROM BLOGGING! Why? I let one person's misunderstanding trickle into my personal life.

Then, I took a peek at my Bloglovin' followers. IT DECREASED SIGNIFICANTLY! Momentarily, I forgot my new mantra and allowed shame and doom to overcome me. Fear of failing in both my personal and work lives triggered paralysis - no movement on the blog.

What did I do? How did I 'come out of it'?
My solution to this is simple - embrace failure, whether true or perceived. This, I know, is easy to say after the storm is over. Yet, it is a must.

How did I arrive at this simple two-word solution?
I thought about my personal definitions of success and failure. WOW! This was an eye-opener. I need to lighten up on myself. But, no matter the definitions I end up with, I need to change my outlook and see each failure (or unmet goal) as an unsolicited classroom session that requiring copious note-taking.

Here are my personal notes:

1. Remember that I am blogging for the audience of One and He is more concerned with my learning from these experiences. 

2. Remember He sees my little existence and current perceived failure from His vantage point - with my future in mind.
Jeremiah 29:11 New Century Version (NCV)
I say this because I know what I am planning for you,” says the Lord. “I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you. I will give you hope and a good future.
(New Century Version (NCV) The Holy Bible, New Century Version®. Copyright © 2005 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.)

3. Keep writing the ideas that come and develop them as I can

4. When the moment becomes available (like right now...hence the post), GET TO POSTING!

5. Don't worry when people unfollow.









Comments

Popular Posts