Which author would you most like to interview, and why?
Short and Sweet Answer
Author: Danielle Steel
Why? Because I am curious about how she wrote 179 novels.
More detailed answer
While searching for something online, I came across an article on Glamour . Now, I've never read anything by Danielle, but I was curious about how she managed to write 179 novels.
After reading the article, I looked at the notes I took. If I could interview her, I would start with my notes and branch off from there.
My Notes and the Resulting Interview Questions
Note: In the beginning of the article, she shared a quote: "There are no miracles. There is only discipline."
Interview question: How does this quote help you stay focused on your goals? What goes through your mind each time you read it?
Note: Her dedication: working (I take it this is writing) 20 to 22 hours a day.
Interview question: Writing 20 to 22 hours a day is a lot. How is this time structured? For example, do you allot certain time for outlining, brainstorming, character development, etc?
Note: 1946 Olympia Standard Typewriter - something that has always worked for her.
Interview question: What happened when you tried the other typewriters?
Note: Another quote: "creature of habit" - she follows a predictable schedule
Interview question: Some believe following a predictable schedule stifles creativity. While I don't believe this, what is your take?
Note: "Drive to push through moments when stuck" - push through writers block; better to have 10 duds than nothing at all
Interview question: Pushing through writers block is hard. When you have pieces that are "duds", do you save them for possible use later, or just toss them in the trash?
Note: Blog when you can - her article said write when you can, but I saw this
Interview question: As an aspiring essayist and book reviewer, I use my blog to test out content and maintain a small review portfolio. But, writing "when I can" is hard. How did you manage to really do this when raising your kids? Other than using spare moments, what else did you do?
Note: She "had a drive to write stories and conquer them" - I have a drive to write essays on topics and themes found in the books I have read in a manner that brings people to want to read and learn from fiction.
Interview question: What do you mean by "write the stories" and "conquer them?
Note: Blog from the heart and gut - Now, she said to write from the heart. But, she was referring to not "writing from the view of cash register." This would be my main question for her. So many authors write what sells instead of writing what they want to read. This is also true of blogging. Recently, I fell into a black hole of thinking about what to write about. I began thinking what is popular right now. Wrong move…
Interview question: Writing from the heart and gut is great. What is your advice to those who say "no one wants to read what I create when writing the gut?"
Note: For Danielle - "it's not about the money…it's the love of the craft" - This is another question that would be prominent in the interview. In spite of her worth, she writes because she loves to.
Interview question: How do you consciously separate the two - money and love of writing? What is your advice to other writers?
Note: For Danielle - "writing has always been sort of a saving grace" - I would want her to explain this a little more
Interview question: By "saving grace" do you mean a form of escape or is does the craft of writing have a therapeutic component for you?
Peeking inside the mind of those women who have been able to manage family and passion is something that is fascinating to me.
What author would you interview and why?
Follow this week's blog hop!
History of The Book Blogger Hop
March 2010 to December 31, 2012 - Originally created by Jennifer -
Crazy-For-Books
How The Book Blogger Hop Works
Fellow book bloggers are invited to submit and book-related questions. A question is selected and book bloggers join in and share their answers. (For the submission form and Hop Schedule, including the question of the week, check out
Billy's dedicated Book Blogger Hop page.
Each Friday a new 'hop' starts and lasts until the following Thursday.
Purpose of The Book Blogger Hop
To give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend other bloggers, and receive new followers to their own blog.
Comments