The Black Mage by Daniel Barnes (Graphic Novel Review)

Harry Potter meets Final Fantasy in this subversive original graphic novel where race, history and magic collide.

The Black MageThe Black Mage by Daniel Barnes
Available October 29, 2019

Everything about The Black Mage was racially complex and embedded within a world meeting the YA audience where they reside. Enter the wizarding world of St. Ivory. There were panels that incited feelings, existing at the juncture of awe and outrage.

There were scenes that made me want to hate the book. But, I couldn’t. In a format accessible and readable by all, this is a book that is needed, for it will drive this new generation to place where they will long to understand what has happened in the realm of race relations and how what we thought was over never really was.

The characters names each played an extremely vital role in The Black Mage. I connected to Tom so deeply that I wanted to hurl my laptop. Yes, my visceral reaction was palpable by those around me, even as I sat silently staring out of the window.

The Black Mage, in all of its magical bliss, provided a horrifying glimpse in the world of domestic terrorism rooted in racism.

Highly recommended book that will surely spark conversation and controversy.

Comments

Popular Posts