The Course Was Set - My Autobiography (Book Blog Hop)


Background photo created by senivpetro - www.freepik.com






If you were to write your own autobiography, what would the title be?




Short and Sweet Answer
The Course Was Set


Long Answer
Coming up with a title for an autobiography is a thought-provoking endeavor. Perhaps some people will select a topic based on what they are feeling today. Others may choose a title based on their past or surviving a harrowing event.

I chose the latter.

Growing up in the inner city of Baltimore, being the only black girl in a sea of white and Asian faces in a parochial school, surviving the influx of other black faces and the ensuing "oreo" stereotype of a black person speaking the white man's language, my early years were no walk in the park.

Soon, the real test began. Being raped at 13, watching childhood friends get gunned down in the alley behind my home, and then finding myself in the shark-infested waters of the dating of bad boys who promise the love I craved. Left  with many scars, some physical and all emotional, I fell in a deep despair, trying desperately to remove myself from the devil's lair many call earth.

But, God was faithful.

I survived...Part One ended. Part Two was not as bad, but painful nonetheless. Had a miscarriage when I found out my mother was dying...my husband and I tried again, only to have another miscarriage right be my sister's funeral (23 days after my mother's)...we kept trying...gave birth to my beautiful son a year later...lost my best friend (my Dad) shortly thereafter.

But, God was still faithful.

I am still here. To share this story...

How does one choose a title for such a narrative of pain and survival?

With sizzling tears streaming, I sat down and thought about all of this.

The final title of my autobiography: The Course Was Set.

What would the title of your autobiography be?

Follow this week's blog hop!

History of The Book Blogger Hop

How The Book Blogger Hop Works

Fellow book bloggers are invited to submit and book-related questions. A question is selected and book bloggers join in and share their answers. (For the submission form and Hop Schedule, including the question of the week, check out Billy's dedicated Book Blogger Hop page. Each Friday a new 'hop' starts and lasts until the following Thursday.

Purpose of The Book Blogger Hop

To give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend other bloggers, and receive new followers to their own blog.

Comments

Popular Posts