How do you choose the next book to read?
Short and Sweet Answer
Consult my master reading list
Long Answer
Oh, this question is actually harder to answer than it seems. I could have said that I choose based on my mood, which is accurate. I could have also said I choose based on what's due next, which is also true.
Alas, I have a system that flexible enough to allow me to read whatever and whenever I like.
How I Use a Master Reading List
I read a lot and review even more.
Thanks to my love of reading, I have a master reading list of books I have. This is not the same as a TBR list.
The master reading list contains books and the month in which they were borrowed or received, along with the due dates (for library books or reviews).
It also allows to me to quickly see what is up next AND if can squeeze in something I just obtained.
Of note, this system works great since I put a lot of new releases on hold at my local libraries. They seem to come all at once. So...I know what I can squeeze in and what will need to be pushed back.
How is the Master Reading List different from a TBR list?
The master reading list shows active books, meaning books that are in my possession and that I want to read this year.
My TBR, which is only kept on Goodreads and is presently out of control, contains books that I think I want to read.
The master reading list contains library books, purchased items, and review copies, which are sorted by month and the day. (NOTE: Purchased items aren't given a date.)
My TBR is a jumbled list of books from any possible source. Honestly, most of them are added based on covers (totally not reliable), blog tour selections that I don't fee like scheduling, review copies from publishers who ALWAYS deny me (ahem...Berkley), recommendations from other sources (book blogs, Publisher's Weekly, BookList, BookPage, NY Times Review of Books, etc.)
How do you choose the next book to read? Do you keep a list (or spreadsheet) of books on your active reading list?
Follow this week's blog hop!
History of The Book Blogger Hop
March 2010 to December 31, 2012 - Originally created by Jennifer -
Crazy-For-Books
How The Book Blogger Hop Works
Fellow book bloggers are invited to submit and book-related questions. A question is selected and book bloggers join in and share their answers. (For the submission form and Hop Schedule, including the question of the week, check out
Billy's dedicated Book Blogger Hop page.
Each Friday a new 'hop' starts and lasts until the following Thursday.
Purpose of The Book Blogger Hop
To give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend other bloggers, and receive new followers to their own blog.
Comments