Sunday's With Erica - Week 33
![]() |
| Designed by Flatart Freepik |
What I've Been Reading
- Love's Broken Vow
- Ultralearning
- One Good Deed
- The Enchanted Hour: The Miraculous Power of Reading Aloud in the Age of Distraction
- Think Like Einstein: Think Smarter, Creatively Solve Problems, and Sharpen Your Judgment
- The Best Lousy Choice
Books I've Read (and enjoyed enough to share)
- Campusland
- Meditation
- Knowing Nichelle
- Wisdom for Living
- Learn like Einstein
- 7 Must-Know Strategies To Learn Anything Faster - was on Kindle Unlimited, but since Scott wrote Ultralearning, this book has since been taken down. (Check out his blog and subscribe to his newsletter if you want a copy of this book. It provides the core of his method, whereas Ultralearning takes you on a deeper journey.)
Favorite Posts and Articles from Around the WWW
How the New Celebrity Book Clubs Are Boosting Literary Sales
When author Maria Hummel's publicist called to tell her that her novel "Still Lives" would appear as a selection on a book club started by Reese Witherspoon, she couldn't believe it. "I remember just staring in the mirror and thinking the person I'm looking at is not me, the person this is happening to is not me," Hummel recalled.
Celebrity book clubs have become all the rage.
It is great to know that there are celebrity literary influencers who are using their platform for something other than makeup.
How Long Beach became a book club superhub, with 130 and counting
In 1952, six Cal State Long Beach faculty wives formed a book club. Sixty-seven years later, the Egg Heads are still going strong. "I was just lonesome for company," said Louise Wilde, 97, who founded the Egg Heads. "It's the one group that I've belonged to for years.
This article was so inspiring. I really want to be part of a book club.
Actually, after watching the movie The Book Club, I realized the importance of bonding over books.
There was a book club started near me, but the leader (a man) was insensitive to the other females. How? He wanted to meet in his house and we were skeptical. Needless to say, the book club went the way of the dinosaur.
There was also a Silent Book Club in the area. But, the leader only wanted to communicate about meetings through Goodreads. Really? She could have easily created a Google Group (or Facebook Group - at the time I was still on Facebook). Either way, her response made me hesitant.
Do Publishers Suddenly Hate Libraries?
I was just re-re-rewatching an old favorite movie the other day, The Philadelphia Story . Witty dialogue delivered by skilled and glamorous actors-what more could one ask for on a summer evening? And, as a bonus, a pivotal scene is set in the local public library!
While I understand the logic behind the Big Five pushing back on e-lending, I don’t understand why they are so angry about it at this point in time.
When a library buys the book, the publisher gets paid once and the royalties are paid out once. This has always been the case. But, why the frustration now? What if there was a platform (like Kindle Unlimited or Hoopla) that limits the patron to a certain number of borrows per month? A monthly fee would be paid by the library and the patrons could have access to all books, but there would be a limit. Of course, this would take some planning.
Libraries are the ultimate public university, where the books are accessible to all regardless of socioeconomic status. It must stay this way.

Comments