[Discussion] - On 2020 Reading Goals and Opportunistic Reading

Book. Flowers. Coffee.
Source: Avon

Tips on the Simple Truth to Reading 200+ Books a Year From a Reader Who Blogs


Why Read - On Being a Reader who Blogs
Reading is a favorite pastime that has evolved in a meditative learning practice. Now, the fact that I am reader who blogs takes things in a different direction. 

On Having a Literary Lifestyle
There is a difference from being a bookworm and having a literary lifestyle
  • Bookworms: appear to live in books, are obsessed with books, will ignore all things in life just to read. I never liked this impression, so I created something different - the literary lifestyle
  • Literary lifestyle: As a connoisseur of the literary art form, I seek to create a life where books are leveraged to assist in understanding the human condition and create a treasure map complete with guideposts. 
The keys to unlocking the power of a literary lifestyle - opportunistic and planned reading.

On Reading OR Navigating Social Media - Latest Statistics (Source: Medium.com)
  • 45% of the world spends 2 hours and 23 minutes on social media
  • Breakdown
    • Facebook: 58 minutes
    • Instagram: 53 minutes
    • YouTube: 40 minutes
    • SnapChat: 35 minutes
    • Twitter: 3 minutes (little shocked by this one...Twitter used to consume so much of my time)
My Solution

  • Left Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter - no value added to my life
  • Set realistic goals based on my preferred genre, as well as scholarly articles
  • By knowing my average reading speed and the average word count of my preferred genres (and those I wish to begin consuming), I know that I need to devote approximately 2 hours to reading each day.

The Details
Genres
Word Count Range*
Minimum (of record)
Maximum (of record)
Average
(with fantasy and sci-fi)
Average (without fantasy and sci-fi)
Literary fiction
120,000 to 150,00 words
120,000
150,000
135,000
135,000
Crime, Thriller, and Suspense
90,000 to 170,000 words
90,000
170,000
130,000
130,000
Fantasy and science fiction
200,00 words and more
200,000
200,000
200,000

Memoirs and Biographies
70,000 to 100,000
70,000
100,000
85,000
85,000
Middle-grade fiction
20,000 to 40,000
20,000
40,000
30,000
30,000
Non-fiction
75,000 to 110,000 words
75,000
110,000
92,500
92,500
Average

95,833
128,333
112,083.33
94,500
*Source of numbers: Just Publishing Advice

2020 Reading Goals (by word count)
With Fantasy and Sci-Fi
No Fantasy and Sci-FI
My average WPM
350
350
Goal number of books
200
200
Average # of words
112,083
94,500
Calculated total words/year
22,416,600
18,900,000
Expected Number of Reading Minutes/Year
64,047
54,000
Expected # of Reading Hours Per Year
1067.457143
900
Expected # of Reading Hours Per Week
20.52802198
17.30769231
Expected # of Reading Hours Per Day
2.932574568
2

Planned Reading - how to read what I want when I am are ready

  • Identify when my favorites authors or publishers are releasing new titles
    • Reading publishing catalogs to be able to pencil in upcoming titles
    • Edelweiss is a great source
    • NetGalley is a good source as well...the key is not to request to review everything, especially if I cannot possibly review prior to the publication date
    • Following favorite authors (those who have a website and on Amazon & Goodreads) to know when new titles are expected for release
  • Pencil in titles on my reading spreadsheet

Multimedia Approach

  • Go digital and pair with paper when appropriate, or necessary

Leveraging Technology

  • Use Bluetooth to make reading easy during the commute
  • Use text-to-speech when an audiobook is not available

Comments

Popular Posts