2020 Literary Challenges - Discussions, Audiobooks, and More
The new year always brings a host of resolutions and revisited goals from the previous year.
For 2020, I have decided to re-do a favorite challenge, Discussion Challenge, and four new ones.
Challenge #1 - Discussion Challenge
Hosts: Nicole - Feed Your Fiction Addiction and Shannon - It Starts at Midnight
Details: Check out the Nicole's sign-up post
Desired level: Creative Conversationalist 11-20 discussion posts
Challenge #2 - Audiobook Challenge
Hosts: Hot Listens and Caffeinated Reviewer
Details: Check out Kim's sign-up post.
Audiobook Source: Libro.fm
Achievement Level: Marathoner 50+
My specific goal: At least one audiobook a week
Challenge #3 - Project 2020 - The Unread Shelf
Reason: I have a plethora of books I have snagged on sale. These beauties seemed to fall under the radar when I have ARCs to read and review. Enter Whitney and her awesome idea.
The Challenge:
Challenge #4 - Bookish Bingo by Chapter Break
NOTE: I have enjoyed reading the posts by the Chapter Break team and have finally decided to join in with Bookish Bingo. But...I will be doing with physical books. For me, this starts January 3.
Details: Check out the Book Bingo feature page for more details
Challenge #5 - Book Riot Read Harder Challenge
Details: Read more at Book Riot
The list:
For 2020, I have decided to re-do a favorite challenge, Discussion Challenge, and four new ones.
Challenge #1 - Discussion Challenge
Hosts: Nicole - Feed Your Fiction Addiction and Shannon - It Starts at Midnight
Details: Check out the Nicole's sign-up post
Desired level: Creative Conversationalist 11-20 discussion posts
Challenge #2 - Audiobook Challenge
Hosts: Hot Listens and Caffeinated Reviewer
Details: Check out Kim's sign-up post.
Audiobook Source: Libro.fm
Achievement Level: Marathoner 50+
My specific goal: At least one audiobook a week
Challenge #3 - Project 2020 - The Unread Shelf
Reason: I have a plethora of books I have snagged on sale. These beauties seemed to fall under the radar when I have ARCs to read and review. Enter Whitney and her awesome idea.
The Challenge:
- January - any unread book
- February - a book gifted to you
- March - the book that’s been on your unread shelf the longest
- April - the book you most recently acquired
- May - a backlist title (by an author with a newer book out)
- June - a book from a series
- July - a book voted for you by Bookstagram (or other bookish community)
- August - a buddy read
- September - a book you’ve owned so long, you forgot where it came from
- October - a book that scares you - in content or length
- November - a book from your favorite genre
- December - the shortest book on your shelf
Challenge #4 - Bookish Bingo by Chapter Break
![]() |
| Source: Chapter Break |
NOTE: I have enjoyed reading the posts by the Chapter Break team and have finally decided to join in with Bookish Bingo. But...I will be doing with physical books. For me, this starts January 3.
Details: Check out the Book Bingo feature page for more details
Challenge #5 - Book Riot Read Harder Challenge
![]() |
| Source: Book Riot |
The list:
- Read a YA nonfiction book
- Read a retelling of a classic of the canon, fairytale, or myth by an author of color
- Read a mystery where the victim(s) is not a woman
- Read a graphic memoir
- Read a book about a natural disaster
- Read a play by an author of color and/or queer author
- Read a historical fiction novel not set in WWII
- Read an audiobook of poetry
- Read the LAST book in a series
- Read a book that takes place in a rural setting
- Read a debut novel by a queer author
- Read a memoir by someone from a religious tradition (or lack of religious tradition) that is not your own
- Read a food book about a cuisine you’ve never tried before
- Read a romance starring a single parent
- Read a book about climate change
- Read a doorstopper (over 500 pages) published after 1950, written by a woman
- Read a sci-fi/fantasy novella (under 120 pages)
- Read a picture book with a human main character from a marginalized community
- Read a book by or about a refugee
- Read a middle grade book that doesn’t take place in the U.S. or the UK
- Read a book with a main character or protagonist with a disability (fiction or non)
- Read a horror book published by an indie press
- Read an edition of a literary magazine (digital or physical)
- Read a book in any genre by a Native, First Nations, or Indigenous author
How will I manage these five challenges? Here are my off-the-cuff thoughts!
For Challenges 3, 4, and 5: Thanks to Jessica at Book Oblivion, I will create a 2020 super-nerdy reading schedule using the categories for challenges 3 and 5. Book Bingo categories will added monthly. Each category will have a unique challenge identifier.
For Challenge 1: I will create a simple spreadsheet.
- Column A = Calendar date (due date)
- Column B = Literary Lifestyle topic (to be filled in as inspiration hits!)
- Column C = Book that inspired the topic in column C
- Column D = Three Key Points
- Column E = Drafted (conditional formatting will be used to encourage completion this year)
- Column F = Posted (conditional formatting will be used to encourage completion this year)
For the audiobook challenge: I will create another spreadsheet.
- Column A = Week Beginning date
- Column B = Selected audiobook title
- Column C = Listening length
- Column D = Completed (simple Y or N)
How will keep you, dear reader, updated?
I will create a separate page (within this blog) for challenges 2, 3, and 5 and enter my updates there. (Let's see how this works!) I will enter the title of the book I read next to the category and link to the review.
As far as the discussion challenge and book bingo, there will be a blog post for those. :)
As far as the discussion challenge and book bingo, there will be a blog post for those. :)




Comments