On Literary Kitties [Discussion Challenge 2020 - #1]

Cats and Books - Purr-fect Combination

Cover photo created by freepik


While reading Pawsitively Secretive (Goodreads), a question popped into my mind - what's up with cats in literature?

In the fictional town of Edgehill, Oregon, there are streets named after cat breeds and businesses with feline-inspired names.

So, why cats and not dogs? Could it be that cats are the perfect animal for a well-known literary device called anthropomorphism?

So, what are the most common feline breeds in literature? 
-Miranda James' Cat in The Stacks series (website) comes to mind with the infamous Maine Coon - Diesel.

-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (book #3) comes to mind with the half-Kneazle (magical) cat - Crookshanks.

-Shelie Burnford's beautiful Siamese -- Tao in The Incredible Journey (Goodreads)

While writing this brief post, I realized that I don't read a lot of books with cats as a main, or minor, character. This should change, since I am sure my five feline companions would appreciate this. Or would they? You know how cats can be...


Comments

Popular Posts