The Juggle of the Struggle and How I Use Three Lists to Help [2020 Discussion Challenge - #3]

School photo created by jcomp

I have a lot going on: a career path that is currently not aligning with MY goals, a growing 11-year old son, a loving husband, and my hobbies - piano, reading & reviewing, and exercise.

AH!!! The juggle of the struggle!

via GIPHY
Each of these are extremely important to me and are more intricate that the simply sentence above.

How do I manage? LISTS!!!

Right now, in an effort to take both my reviewing and blogging to the next level, I have joined several challenges.

About these challenges and the reason why I accepted them.
  • Book Bingo: This seemed like fun and would take me out of my literary comfort zone. So, far this isn't quite working. See, I am pretty good at finding ways to make something work. That being said, I have managed to skillfully make my reading choices fit.
  • Book Riot Read Harder: I want to read outside of my go-to genres and what is popular. This is the perfect challenge for me. In all honesty, I will use the suggestions from Book Riot as a launchpad to finding titles that interest me.
  • Audiobook Challenge: I want to go back to audios! Plain and simple.
  • Unread Shelf: Thought this would interesting, but so far it is too restrictive. I will be tweaking this one.
So, what is one method (of many that I am experimenting with) I can share?
My Triple Aim-List Strategy for Prioritizing and Planning.

I know the average number books I want to read for the year. (This is my Goodreads Challenge.) I also know how many hours I need to set aside to reach my desired book number, which is obviously much higher than what I shared on Goodreads.

Next, I plan my reading in 90-day increments.
**NOTE: This allows for tweaking if I come across a book on NetGalley or Edelweiss. I no longer jump on things at the Library or Amazon, since I can either save the library book to my to-read list or purchase the book on Amazon and move to the to-read collection.**

Step 1: List the 24 books I would like to read in the next 90 days.
**NOTE: 2 books a week * 12 weeks = 24, where 2 books is the minimum.**
- I take my time in doing this because I am striving to read and review books ON the publication date this year.
 - If I have more than 24 books, my other rule comes in - read and review within 7 days of publication.
- If the 7-day period falls outside of the 90-days, I move the book the next 90-day period.

Step 2: Pencil in the goal end date for each book

Step 3: Get the page count for each book and pencil in the allotted reading amount for each day, based on the goal end date.

Step 4: Create three lists for each month in the 90-day period
- List the 8 books planned for each month
- Print out a copy and clip it to my Kindle cover.

Step 5: Start reading


Why this works for me?
  1. Each monthly list keeps me focused and less likely to poison my own success.
  2. It prevents me from spreading myself too thin.
  3. Keeps my attention focused, but allows me to read what I want when I want within my preset boundaries.

Prioritization and focus are necessary for me to meet my goals success.

Hmm...maybe next week I will share how I have plan my weekly discussion posts. Hey...it seems to be working for me and it may just inspire you! (Jetting off to record this idea!!!)










Comments

Popular Posts