How can you remain flexible as a book reviewer and continue to enjoy your hobby?  [2020 Discussion Challenge - #5]

Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay


Being a book reviewer requires diligence and tenacity. Yet, it also calls for both flexibility and the capacity to say “no”.

So, how does this work?


Success in reaching my reviewing goals requires diligence, flexibility, and persistence.


— The Literary Apothecary

There is nothing more stifling to progress than an inflexible schedule.

Rigid planning leads to rigid behaviors and rigid behaviors contribute to a harried reading experience, dreaded review work, and almost guarantees the certainty of a creative impasse.

While there is a particular amount of comfort to routine, too much routine can lead to complete stoppage of all work.

Why?

Elementary, my dear Watson.

The publishing world never slumbers. Authors keep writing, Goodreads keeps alerting you that your favorite author has a new book, and the e-galley platforms keep promoting pre-releases. By definition, rigor in planning, thinking, and behavior are resistant to change. Therefore, a rigid reading schedule can spell obsolescence in the literary world. Everyone else moves forward to the next book, while we are left behind fanning the dust as our towering mountains of books start to topple.

So, what does this mean for me as a book blogger? How can I use this basic logic to enlighten myself? This is of particular importance since my content depends on my ability to read quickly, review accurately, and post timely.

Everything changes quickly and what was once a strong review formula, or a popular genre one month can be, and usually is, old news in the next. The only way to successfully stay on top of this bucking literary bronco of books and use it to my advantage is to be flexible enough to roll with the bucks.

But, the question becomes -- HOW?

How do I roll with the changes, or bucks if I remain with the aforementioned analogy?

For example, new review opportunities comes and I think this could be my next byline? Or, my favorite author is releasing a new book and has asked for your help? Or, on a somber note, today I learned one of my favorite authors (Mary Higgins Clark) passed away and I want to read her memoir. Now, I have to adjust my reading schedule, again.

One piece to this puzzle could be learning to say “no”.

BUT…what if I don’t want to say “no”? This is where flexibility comes in.

What does it mean to be flexible as a book reviewer?

To me it means:

  • Keeping open slots for my favorites
  • Keeping open slots for my library book holds (which seems to always come at once, even when I checked the estimated time!)
  • Knowing my average reading rate and setting daily goals for my review assignments.


Now, saying “no” to review opportunities is not a bad thing. In fact, I have had to ignore of few of those tempting emails from NetGalley and Edelweiss.

When do I say “no”?

If I can’t squeeze the book in, read it completely, and meet the review deadline, I do not accept.
I remind myself that the book will be available later and I can easily (1) purchase the book or (2) borrow it from the library.

Your Turn! -- How do you remain flexible as a book reviewer and ensure your continued enjoyment of reading?


Comments

Popular Posts