How technology can help you tackle your TBR when you can’t focus [2020 Discussion Challenge - #14]

What do you do when you want to read, but can only think about the rising number of COVID-19 cases in your state and across the globe?





This blog post was inspired by a Book Riot.

3 Creative Ways to Use Audiobooks to Help You Focus on Reading During Isolation

It's no secret: people are having a difficult time focusing right now. The COVID-19 pandemic and its accompanied social distancing and isolation measures are giving lots of us, to define it in the mildest terms, cabin fever with a side of fuzzy brain.
Many booklovers probably thought that this time (COVID-19 global pandemic) was going to ripe for reading. For some, this could not have been further from the truth.

I have been very exhausted lately. No, I did not think this would be a complete respite, as I have the option to work remotely. However, unexpected co-op homeschooling (my term for distance learning since I am doing more teaching than assisting with homework) and the decision to apply, interview, and accept my dream job has presented me with a host of stressful moments.

Amidst those stressful moments, I had to find new ways to ‘stack’ my reading. So, when I saw the aforementioned Book Riot post, I pounced!

Dana shared how she found three ways to use audiobooks to help her focus on reading during this time of social isolation.

In this post, I am going to review and comment on her suggestions, as well as toss in a few of my own.

Suggestion #1 – ‘Finish books you started or purchased in print’
This suggestion is aimed at those who still read print. The essence of this suggestion is to obtain the audiobook version of an unfinished print title. While this will work if there is an audiobook version AND you can afford it, what other options do you have?
  • Purchase the ebook and let technology assist you – Alexa or text-to-speech (TTS). Alexa will read your books to you, provided they meet Amazon’s requirements. ARCs do not meet these requirements and that is where TTS comes in.
  • Borrow the audiobook from Overdrive, RB digital, Hoopla, Cloud Library, KU (they have audios!)
  • Borrow the ebook from Overdrive. If the library offers the Kindle version, use Alexa. If not, use your phone/tablet/PC TTS engine.
  • Scope out Scribd for the audiobook version or ebook version
Suggestion #2 – ‘Listen and Read Along in Print’
The essence of this suggestion is simple – immersive reading. The same logic for suggestion #1 applies here!!

Suggestion #3 – ‘Read Out Loud’
In essence, reading out loud can help your concentration. Yet, being as though I have a family who thinks my reading selections are macabre, this option will not work for me. (NOTE: For those of you who read sizzling romance and erotica, or gory horror, reading out loud may freak out those loved ones nearby.)

So, what are some other options?
  • Alexa (or regular TTS) and earbuds!
  • Hide in the closet and read in a whisper….ok…that’s a stretch, but I tried it and rather enjoyed it.
Other non-audiobook (or TTS) suggestions (Hat Tip to Erica @ EricaRobynReads for her contribution)
  • Find the graphic novel version – if available. For example, Handmaid’s Tale has one, as do most of the classics)
  • Reading in intervals – GAMIFY!
  • Buddy read – think book club!
Tell me your thoughts - How are you tackling your TBR and maintaining your concentration? 

Enjoyed this post? 

Never miss out on future posts! 

Follow The Literary Apothecary!

Comments

Popular Posts