Book Review: Yellow Wife A Novel by Sadeqa Johnson




Yellow Wife
Sadeqa Johnson
Publisher Name: Simon & Schuster
Published Date: January 12, 2021
Number of pages: 288 pages
ISBN: 978-1982149109
Genre(s): African-American Historical Fiction

Being a fan of all things antebellum, I was drawn to the southern style of the book cover of the Yellow Wife. After reading the synopsis, I was curious about the Devil's Half Acre and what happened there. Most importantly, I wondered about her struggle.


When I received the digital copy, I was literally excited to have the book in my hands. I expected the typical romanticization of the antebellum south, which is seen in quite a few southern romances. However, having read Sadiqa's other book, And Then There Was Me, I expected graceful prose and a riveting storyline. She did not disappoint.


I was mesmerized by the main character's strength and fortitude, which led me to think about my own struggles. Not only did I treasure every word, but all of my questions were answered. Pheby Brown lived a very sheltered life yet belonged to neither the free nor enslaved world. In this epic novel, the cost of freedom is understood through her eyes as she deals with betrayal, lies, love, and loss.


This text is perfect for readers of Kathleen Grisson and Dolen Perkins-Valdez. Moreover, this text would be a great addition to a high school or college-level African-American studies class.

Comments

Popular Posts